Front flips (under rotating)

Discussion in 'Ask a Show Skier' started by llconnor, Jun 8, 2015.

1. llconnor

llconnor Showskier

Ski Team:
    Portland Water Spectacular
    A couple of members of our team have been trying to learn front flips. Unfortunately we are on the west coast (PDX) and no one else on our team (currently) can do these (so our coaching options are limited). We are currently doing some videoing and the most consistent problem appears to be under rotation. Both jumpers are experienced and landing regular jumps and/or helis consistently.

So the question is:
    What are your top tips in terms of how to learn to do a front flip?

Anything explanation that will sink into my brain more than the "HOLY CRAP I'M FLYING THROUGH THE AIR UPSIDE-DOWN" thought is great:).

P.S. I've already read these threads, but want to see what other gems may be out there.
    http://www.showskiers.com/forum/index.php?threads/inverts.3373/#post-19534
    http://www.showskiers.com/forum/index.php?threads/freestyle-jump-ski-questions.3488/#post-21562

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Showskier

Ski Team:
    Twin Cities River Rats
    It may help if you can post some videos of where you are at now. Under rotating is a common problem (still is for me!). There are different styles for flips that work for different types of people. Maybe changing the style would help. Or maybe it's just a case of refining one or two steps along the way.

3. Jack Scheels

Jack Scheels New Showskier

Ski Team:
    ski cats

4. Jack Scheels

Jack Scheels New Showskier

Ski Team:
    ski cats
    Most common mistake is opening up too soon. . previous poster mentioned throwing hands down great advice)when you start your rotation (especially right hand with handle) this also helps dealing with slack rope. Also helps keep you oriented straight down course. 32 is the speed and driving a heli split.(any trick starts with the head obviously.) sometime you can overthink and over analyze. pulled one young guy (Marty Lorenze)who had only been over the ramp a dozen times and has never even attempted a heli. believe it or not HE MADE THE FIRST FLIP!!! he missed the next 2 and made the 4th one. I should mention Marty was a guy that listened and had great body awareness!! He was leaving for the military in a few days and was highly motivated! (I even tried to talk him out of the attempt! --shows what I know!) Starts with mental attitude and determination! I can't tell you how many guys talk smack on the dock and then change their minds a few feet before the ramp. Also, and this is the most important---PULL THE RELEASE EVERYTIME YOU FLIP! Until you land 2 or3 and coast to a stop. Showdog -- (Jack Scheels)

5. Show D.

Show D. New Showskier

Ski Team:
    Kings Dominion, Great Adventure, Magic Mountain, Astro World, Atlantis, Gold Coast Club
    I know this is a way old post, but having many years of consistent front and back flip performances; I would advise: (1) Pop, (2) Pull handle to gut forcefully, (3) Tuck, (4) Flip over and around the handle, (5) Brace for hard landing and any unexpired slack in the rope. Wish you success.